The production procedure is extremely simple, you just require to follow the techniques that we have actually composed on this page. The complying with are the phases of exactly how to cook ONE PAN FRENCH ONION SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS.
- Use the best looking pork chops you can find. I usually get mine from the butcher counter, as those are generally thicker and less fatty than the ones pre-packaged out in the store. We’re using simple ingredients here, so quality is key.
- When you first put the sliced onions in the skillet, it’ll look like you have WAY too many. Don’t worry, they cook down considerably.
- You don’t have to fully caramelize the onions, they keep cooking throughout the rest of the recipe process. You way them very soft and golden brown, not deep brown like traditional caramelized onions.
- The fresh thyme sprigs are optional, but totally recommended… it’s a great flavor and really brings home more of the French onion flavor profile.
- Don’t worry about only cooking the pork chops a few minutes per side. They’ll keep cooking as the dish is baked later, and you really only want to cook pork to 140-145 F degrees. It should have a slight blush of pink. Pink is GOOD with pork, it means the chops will still be juicy and tender, not tough and leathery.
- 2 yellow onions peeled, cut in half, and sliced into half-moon shaped slices
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plus 4 Tbsp beef stock
- 4 boneless pork chops about 1 – 1 ½ inches thick
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 ½ Tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese or swiss
- fresh thyme sprigs for adding to pan
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Melt butter and olive oil in a large cast iron or other oven safe skillet, over MED-HIGH heat. Add sliced onions and saute 3-5 minutes, until soft. Add 4 Tbsp beef stock and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 minutes, until onions are extremely tender and golden brown.
- As onions are sautéing, season both sides of pork chops with salt, black pepper, thyme and garlic powder. Transfer onions to a plate, do not wipe out skillet.
- Reduce heat to MED, add a drizzle of olive oil to the skillet if needed, and cook pork chops, about 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.Transfer pork chops to plate.
- Return cooked onions to pan and sprinkle with flour. Stir to coat and cook about a minute. Add remaining 1 cup beef stock and stir often until mixture comes to a boil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Nestle pork chops back into the pan, spooning some of the beef stock over the tops of the chops. Top with a slices of provolone cheese, and a mound of the shredded gruyere (about a ¼ cup on each chop).
- Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme and add skillet to oven and bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and gooey. Before serving, spoon some of the beef stock/onion mixture over the top of the cheese, and garnish with some additional black pepper if desired.
Thank you for seeing our blog site. Hopefully the guidelines for making ONE PAN FRENCH ONION SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS dishes above can be beneficial for you. As well as don’t forget to share this recipe by clicking the PIN switch listed below, as well as share it with all your close friends.
Originally posted 2017-09-06 15:27:18.